Table of Contents
- ⬤ What is advertising vocabulary in business English?
- ⬤ How to learn advertising vocabulary in business English?
- ⬤ Word list of advertising vocabulary in business English
- ⬤ Memory cards exercise about advertising vocabulary
- ⬤ Vocabulary test about advertising vocabulary
- ⬤ Writing test about advertising vocabulary
- ⬤ Memory cards to test your knowledge about advertising vocabulary
⬤ What is advertising vocabulary in business English?
Advertising vocabulary is the vocabulary about the activities of generating advertisements for commercial products or services. In this way companies can promote a product or a service. Advertising is a way of communication to motivate potential buyers to buy commercial products or services. It is a way of persuading people to buy something.
⬤ How to learn advertising vocabulary in business English?
You can learn advertising vocabulary with definitions, phrases and expressions easily here for free. We also provide you with many vocabulary games, memory cards, tests, puzzles and exercises. First, please study the word list of advertising vocabulary below.
⬤ Word list of advertising vocabulary in business English
- ad: advertisement
- advertisement: a notice or announcement in a public medium promoting or publicizing something
- advertising agency: a company that helps with planning advertisements.
- AIDA: Attention, Interest, Desire, Action
- advertising agency: a firm that creates ads for other companies
- advertising budget: the amount of money that a company spend on advertising
- eye-catcher: attracting attention of a person
- promote: advertising and publicity to increase sales
- benefit: advantage, profit, gain
- billboard: a large outdoor board for displaying advertisements
- broadsheet: a large piece of paper with information on it
- campaign: plan of action
- generic advertising: Advertising for a entire sector
- circulation: amount of copies of newspapers/magazines sold over a period of time
- classified ads: Small advertisement that are divided into categories for newspapers or magazines
- commercial: Advertisement on radio or television.
- brand awareness: knowing a particular brand
- brand loyalty: continuing to buy from the same brand
- coupon: Part of a printed advertisement to be used to order goods or samples.
- direct mail: Advertisement sent by post to customers.
- editing: Reviewing or rewriting advertisement for publication
- mass media: leading means of communication
- keywords: a word or concept to indicate the content
- launch: begin an action to introduce something
- mailshot: posting advertising material to possible customers
- target: objective, goal
- features: particular characteristics of a product
- commercial break: the short period when ads are shown on TV
- commercial channel: TV channels of advertisement
- hoarding: billboard
- hype: excessive or intensive publicity or promotion
- jingle: Catchy verse, slogan or tune
- poster: big sheet of paper used for advertising
- prime time: the time that most audience is expected
- roadside signs: big panels used for outdoor advertising
- slot: particular time in a broadcasting schedule
- soundbite: Short extract from a recorded interview
- tabloid: half-size newspaper with many headlines and photos
- U.S.P.: Unique Selling Proposition
- press release: something written to share and publish
- sales page: a page particularly used to promote a product or service
- social media: websites or apps that allow users to create and share content
- spam email: unwanted, promotional email
- word of mouth: recommendations made by individuals
- publicity: notice or attention given by the media
- brand awareness: being familiar with the distinctive qualities or image of a brand
- target audience: the group that the campaign is for
- misprint : print incorrectly
- call to action: encouraging someone to take a particular action
- celebrity endorsement: having a well-known person to promote a product
- to go viral: to become extremely popular on Internet
- junk mail: unwanted promotional emails and letters
- to launch a product: introducing a new product
- mailing list: a list of contacts used to send information and advertisements
- niche product: a product that is targeted at a specific group of people
- to place an advert: to put an advertisement somewhere
⬤ Memory cards exercise about advertising vocabulary
Read the definition on the memory card below and then guess the meaning of it. To check your answer click on the card to see the answer.
⬤ Vocabulary test about advertising vocabulary
The following is a vocabulary test about advertising. In this vocabulary exercise read the definition and select the corresponding option from the list. Every correct answer will add 10 points to your score.
⬤ Writing test about advertising vocabulary
Below is an online vocabulary writing test about advertising. Read the definition of the word. Then type the word or phrase into the input box.
⬤ Memory cards to test your knowledge about advertising vocabulary
This is a memory cards exercise to check your knowledge about advertising vocabulary. Firstly, click on a card to flip it and then guess the meaning of it.
- brand loyalty
- press release
- target audience
- prime time
- brand awareness
- commercial break
- commercial channel
- brand awareness
>> Click here to learn Top 140 Business English vocabulary in English
>> Click here to learn Sales and Marketing vocabulary for business English
>> Click here to learn Money, Finance and Banking vocabulary for business English
>> Click here to learn Project Management vocabulary for business English
>> Click here to learn International Trade (Import-Export) vocabulary for business English
>> Click here to learn Human Resources vocabulary for business English
>> Click here to learn Investment Vocabulary for business English
External resource links:
You can jump to business English category page to find extra activities and games in this website by clicking here. However, there are some external links that may help you. You can click here to read about business English or here to listen podcasts about business English. You can also see some nice videos on Youtube here.