Table of Contents
- ⬤ What are the animals in English?
- ⬤ Pictures of animals vocabulary with pronunciations
- ⬤ Farm animals picture vocabulary with pronunciations
- ⬤ Word list of animals in English
- ⬤ Flashcards exercise about animals vocabulary
- ⬤ Flip the card game
- ⬤ Example sentences about animals
- ⬤ Asking questions about animals
- ⬤ Reading passage about animals
- ⬤ Images of animals vocabulary to download and share
- ⬤ Picture quiz about animals
- ⬤ Listening test with pictures
- ⬤ Writing test with animal pictures
- ⬤ Spelling test about animals
- ⬤ Worksheets about animals to download and share
⬤ What are the animals in English?
Animals are the living beings that we share the Earth with. Some animals are domestic which means they are tamed and not wild. Some domestic animals are kept for farming purposes while pets are kept as companions. Wild animals are untamed and they live in their natural environment. There are many kinds of animals, so we put them into some groups. Basic animal groups are: mammals (lion, elephant, zebra etc.), reptiles (crocodile, cobra, chameleon etc.), birds (eagle, crow, duck etc.), invertebrates (insects, worms, sponges etc.), fish (sharks, salmon etc.) and amphibians (salamanders, frogs etc.)
- Carnivores are the animals that eat meat such as lion, wolf, crocodile, eagle etc. Herbivores are the animals that eat plant. For example zebra, kangaroo, elephant, deer etc. Omnivores are the animals that eat both plant and meat.
- A vet is an specialist who takes care of the animal health. They are trained people with medical degree.
- There are some endangered animals. This means number of the animals of this kind is decreasing. Click here to learn about the endangered animals in the world.
- Extinct animal means this animal no longer lives on Earth. For example the bird dodo became extinct about 300 years ago.
⬤ Pictures of animals vocabulary with pronunciations
You can learn names of animals here with pronunciations. Click on a picture to listen to the pronunciation.
⬤ Farm animals picture vocabulary with pronunciations
Learn farm animals vocabulary in English with pictures and pronunciation below. To learn how to say farm animals in English click on any image.
⬤ Word list of animals in English
- killer whale
- polar bear
- blue whale
⬤ Flashcards exercise about animals vocabulary
Tap on a flashcard to flip it and see the animal name on it. This exercise helps you memorize the names of animals.
- killer whale
⬤ Flip the card game
Click on a card to see an animal name. Then say the name of the animal in your own language.
⬤ Example sentences about animals
- Lions eat meat.
- Giraffes are the tallest land animals.
- A cow is a farm animal.
- An elephant is a mammal.
- Snakes are reptiles.
- Koalas are in danger of extinction.
- Some fish lost their habitats because of drought.
- Polar bears become endangered because of climate change.
- Wild life is important for wild animals.
- Lions have got sharp and big teeth.
- Tigers are carnivore.
- We should save natural habitat.
- Wild life is important for wild animals.
- We should keep seas clean.
- We shouldn’t wear fur.
- We shouldn’t hunt seals for their fur.
⬤ Asking questions about animals
- What do pandas look like? – Pandas are big animals. They have thick white coat with blacks patches.
- What do pandas hunt? – They don’t hunt. They mostly eat leaf.
- Where do pandas live? – They live in China.
- How much do pandas weigh? – They weigh about 100 Kg.
- What do pandas eat? – They eat bamboo leaves.
- Which wild animals do you want to touch? – I want to touch eagles.
- Where can you see Kangaroos? – You can see kangaroos in Australia.
- When did dodo become extinct? – Dodo became extinct in the 17th century.
- What do tigers eat? – They eat meat.
- How tall are the giraffes? – They are about 18 feet tall.
- Where do Asian Elephants live? – They live in Asia
- What should we do to protect endangered animals? – We should protect their habitat.
⬤ Reading passage about animals
Giraffes are mammals. Giraffes are the tallest animals on the land. They are 1.8-meter tall. The legs of a giraffe are about 2 meters long. A giraffe’s heart is about a half a meter long and weighs about 11 kilograms. Its lungs can hold 55 liters of air. Both male and female giraffes have horns. Giraffes are so big. So they don’t need to hide from any other animals. If they are in danger, they can defend themselves with a strong kick. They can also run very fast—around 56 kilometers per hour. They always look elegant and calm.
The jaguar is a wild animal. It is carnivore. Jaguars have strong teeth. They are powerful big-headed animals. Most jaguars have black spots on their bodies. Some jaguars are so dark that they appear to be spotless. They live in watery habitats such as swamplands of central and South America. They are good swimmers. Jaguars can eat larger animals such as deer. They sometimes climb trees to wait their prey. Jaguars are proficient hunters of wildlife.
⬤ Picture quiz about animals
Select the correponding animal name from the list. This picture quiz is good to check your animals vocabulary skill.
⬤ Listening test with pictures
Listen to the animal name and then select it from the list of random animal pictures. Each correct answer will give you points.
⬤ Writing test with animal pictures
Start the test and when you see an animal image, write the name of it into the input box.
⬤ Spelling test about animals
Listen and type the animal name into the text box correctly. Get points for every correct answer.
There are some worksheets about animals vocabulary below. These printable ESL worksheets are free to download and share. They have pdf and jpg image formats. You can choose whichever you like.
|• Animals flashcards worksheet|
|• Animals activity worksheet|
|• Animals word scramble game worksheet|
|• Animals word search puzzle worksheet – 1|
|• Animals word search puzzle worksheet – 2|
>> Click here to learn sea animals vocabulary in English
>> Click here to learn pets vocabulary in English
>> Click here to learn birds vocabulary in English
>> Click here to learn insects vocabulary in English
External resource links:
You can jump to animals category page to find extra activities and games in this website by clicking here. However, there are some external links that may help you. You can click here to watch a video about animals. You can also play games about animals vocabulary here or here. And this and this and this are pdf flashcards about animals.