Clothes are the elements we wear on our bodies. There are different kinds of clothing which depends on the gender, age, body type, location, season, occupation, religion, social status and the purpose of wearing.
- Clothes are also known as apparel and attire
- Clothes are made of fabrics, textiles or animal skin called “leather”
- Clothing varies according to gender. For example men’s clothing or women’s clothing (also “unisex clothes” that are worn by both genders)
- Types of clothes change according to age as well: baby clothes, girl clothes
- Clothing sizes refer to the the body size. It can be Small (S), Large (L), Extra Large (XL). It can be said as numbers like 42.
- Clothing changes according to the location. For example men can wear Scottish kilt skirt in Scotland. Arab men wear thawbs.
- There are also seasonal clothing such as winter clothing and summer clothing.
- Clothes also imply occupation. For example doctors’ clothing, soldiers’ clothing and workers’ clothing
- Clothes change according to religion. Christian, Muslim and Jewish clothes show their own characteristics.
- Clothes are also worn for protection purposes. For instance gloves, raincoats and helmets .
- Some people wear clothes to show his or her status. These sort of clothes show wealth or nobleness.
- Fashion is the distinctive and aesthetic expression in clothing which is industry-supported.
- Trend in clothing expresses a change in clothing for a short period of time.
- Style is the expression and design in a special form.
Table of Contents
- ⬤ Pictures of clothes with pronunciations
- ⬤ Word list of clothes vocabulary in English
- ⬤ Flashcards exercise about clothes
- ⬤ Flip cards exercise about clothes
- ⬤ Patterns of the clothes
- ⬤ Materials of clothes
- ⬤ Verbs about clothing
- ⬤ Example sentences about clothes
- ⬤ Asking questions about clothes
- ⬤ Reading passage
- ⬤ Images of clothes vocabulary to download and share
- ⬤ Picture quiz about clothes vocabulary
- ⬤ Listening test with pictures
- ⬤ Writing test with pictures
- ⬤ Spelling test about clothes
- ⬤ PDF and image worksheets about clothes to download
⬤ Pictures of clothes with pronunciations
These are the images of clothes. You can click on a picture to listen to the pronunciation.
⬤ Word list of clothes vocabulary in English
- track suit
- Ear muffs
- winter clothing
- summer clothing
⬤ Flashcards exercise about clothes
This flashcards activity help you memorize the clothes vocabulary easily. Guess the name of the cloth and then click on an image to see the answer.
⬤ Flip cards exercise about clothes
Unlike flashcards exercise above you don’t see images here. Just click on the cards to open it. After that say the meaning of that word in your native language.
⬤ Patterns of the clothes
She likes wearing striped dresses.
I want to buy a checked shirt.
⬤ Materials of clothes
You can also see materials and patterns of clothes in English here (British Council)
⬤ Verbs about clothing
Example: Take of your shoes before you enter.
⬤ Example sentences about clothes
- She is wearing a red dress.
- It is hot in summer. So I wear a T-shirt and a hat.
- It is cold in winter. So I wear my sweater and my boots.
- I need glasses in summer.
- I like wearing sport clothes.
- It is rainy. Wear your raincoat, please.
⬤ Asking questions about clothes
- What is he wearing? – He is wearing a blue T-shirt.
- What kind of clothes do you wear? – I like wearing sports clothes.
- What is on her? – She is wearing a green dress.
- Do you like wearing hats? – No, I don’t like wearing hats.
⬤ Reading passage
My Everyday Clothes
I like to wear blue jeans and T-shirts. I wear school uniform only at school. I like sports clothes. I have different clothes of T-shirts. I like jeans and trainers, too. My white trainers are my favourite ones. They feel really comfortable. I also have a brown cap. I mostly wear it when it is too hot and sunny. My sister doesn’t like T-shirts or trainers. She likes wearing dresses and shoes. We are very different in terms of clothing.
⬤ Picture quiz about clothes vocabulary
Look at the image and choose the name of the cloth from the list. This multiple choice test is very good for learning clothes.
⬤ Listening test with pictures
Click on the play button and listen to the name of the cloth. Then choose it from the images. This test is good for communication skills because without identifying the words in a speech it is hard to understand others.
⬤ Writing test with pictures
This test evaluates writing ability of the words. Type the name of the clothes into the text box. Correct answers give you 10 points.
⬤ Spelling test about clothes
Click on the “Start” button and listen to the audio. Type the name of the cloth into the text box.
⬤ PDF and image worksheets about clothes to download
These are the worksheets about clothes vocabulary below. You can download and use these printable ESL worksheets to teach clothes vocabulary. We provide you with two different file formats: pdf and jpg image.
|• Clothes flashcards worksheet|
|• Clothes activity worksheet|
|• Clothes word scramble game worksheet|
|• Clothes word search puzzle worksheet|
External resource links:
You can jump to clothes category page to find extra activities and games in this website by clicking here. However, there are some external links that may help you. You can click here to watch a video about clothes. You can play a matching game here or here. This is another link for a worksheet from British Council. You can also download a printable pdf document here and here to practice with flashcards.