Table of Contents
- ⬤ Colours vocabulary in English
- ⬤ Colours picture vocabulary with pronunciations
- ⬤ Word list of colours vocabulary
- ⬤ Flashcards exercise about colours vocabulary
- ⬤ Flip cards exercise about colours
- ⬤ Example sentences about colours
- ⬤ Asking questions about colours
- ⬤ Reading passage about colours vocabulary
- ⬤ Images of colours vocabulary to download and share
- ⬤ Picture quiz about colours
- ⬤ Listening test with pictures
- ⬤ Writing test about colours vocabulary
- ⬤ Spelling test about colours vocabulary
- ⬤ PDF and image worksheets about colours to download
⬤ Colours vocabulary in English
Names of colours are basic English vocabulary, so it is essential to learn them well. The word “color” is common in United States but “colour” is common in the other English spoken countries. Here is a brief information about colours:
- The widely known colours are: red, green, blue, yellow, black, white, orange, pink, purple, brown
- Shades of colours are expressed with “light” which means it is closer to white and “dark” which means it is closer to dark.
Examples: light green, dark green
- You can use the suffix “-ish” to mean “not exactly but approximate”
Examples: reddish, blueish
- Colours are adjectives. This means it is used before nouns.
Examples: a red car, my blue jeans, the big white mountain etc.
- You can use colours with “verb to be”
It is a yellow flower.
The flower is yellow.
Yellow is my favourite colour.
The yellow flower is in the vase.
- The colour “gray” is usually used in the U.S., but “grey” is mostly used in Britain and other countries.
On this page you can learn colours with many different vocabulary activities like flashcards, vocabulary games, pictures, pronunciations, spelling tests, quizzes, puzzles, exercises, examples and reading passages. Before you start, it is better to learn the colours below with images and pronunciations. Then you can have fun doing vocabulary activities later.
⬤ Colours picture vocabulary with pronunciations
You can learn names of common colours in English here with pictures and pronunciations. If you click on a colour, you can listen the pronunciation of it.
⬤ Word list of colours vocabulary
- light green
- dark green
⬤ Flashcards exercise about colours vocabulary
Here in this flashcards exercise you will see balloons in different colours. Guess the colours. When you are sure about the name of a colour, click on the flashcard to see the answer.
⬤ Flip cards exercise about colours
This flip card exercise is useful to check your colours vocabulary knowledge. First, click on a card and try to guess the name of the colour in your native language.
⬤ Example sentences about colours
- I have got blue eyes.
- My bike is red.
- This is a purple ball.
- Is that green?
- I like black caps.
- They are white.
- There is a black cat under the tree.
- Pink is my favourite colour.
- The blue car is in the garden.
- I have a blue car.
- Emily has got dark green eyes.
- She has reddish shoes.
- It is a nice day. The sky is blue and there are some white clouds in the sky. Green grass lie under my feet. I am very happy.
⬤ Asking questions about colours
How to ask questions about colours: We use “What colour….?” to ask colours in English.
What colour is it? > It is yellow.
What colour is your hair? My hair is black.
What colour are they? > They are pink.
What colour is her dress? > It is white and green.
“What is your favourite colour?”
My favourite colour is orange. (It is orange.)
Note: You can use “light” to mean less in degree and “dark” to mean more in degree while expressing colours.
a light green table cloth
a dark brown chair
⬤ Reading passage about colours vocabulary
MY FAVOURITE COLOURS
I like blue. Blue is my favourite colour. My cap is blue and my T-shirts are blue. I wear blue-jeans, too. But my sister wears pink because she likes pink. All her dresses are pink. My mother likes wearing different colours. She likes green most. My father prefers black, because he wears suits at work. What about you? What is your favourite colour?
⬤ Picture quiz about colours
Do a quick quiz about colours vocabulary here. Select the colour of the balloon from the list. Every correct answer will add 10 points to your score.
⬤ Listening test with pictures
This test checks your listening skill about colours. First, click the play button and listen to the name of the colour. Then select the colour from the list of images. Try not to make mistakes, because your correct answers add 10 points to the score.
⬤ Writing test about colours vocabulary
This writing test is about colours vocabulary. First look at the ballon image and write the colour of it in the text box.
⬤ Spelling test about colours vocabulary
Check your spelling ability about colours here. First, click the start button and then listen to the colour by clicking the play button. Then write the colour you hear in the text box. For every correct answer you get 10 points.
⬤ PDF and image worksheets about colours to download
You can practice colours vocabulary by the help of worksheets here. They are free to download and you can share these printable ESL worksheets, as well. They are in two different file formats: pdf and jpg image.
|• Colours flashcards worksheet|
|• Colours activity worksheet|
|• Colours word scramble game worksheet|
|• Colours word search puzzle worksheet|
External resource links:
You can jump to colours category page to find extra activities and games in this website by clicking here. However, there are some external links that may help you. You can click here to watch a video about colours or here to do an exercise.