Countries! They are one of the main starting point of people for international conversations in English. People expect you to know the names of their countries while speaking. Then, what is a country first of all? A Country is a certain area of land in the world with its own nation, government and economy. The word “state” is also used to refer to a country, so they are considered as synonymous terms in most cases to mean self-governing political parts of the world. Some countries are independent which means they are governing themselves and have sovereignty over their country.
- The word “territory” means an area of land that a state or a ruler has.
- A nation refers to the people with common language, culture and history living in the same country or territory.
- There are about 200 countries in the world. Click here to see the list of countries in the world.
Table of Contents
- ⬤ Countries vocabulary with pronunciations
- ⬤ Names of some countries in English
- ⬤ Flashcards exercise
- ⬤ Flip cards exercise
- ⬤ Example sentences
- ⬤ Asking questions about the countries
- ⬤ Reading passage
- ⬤ Images of countries vocabulary
- ⬤ Picture quiz
- ⬤ Listening test with pictures
- ⬤ Writing test
- ⬤ Spelling test
- ⬤ Worksheets about the countries
⬤ Countries vocabulary with pronunciations
Here is a list of some countries with their flags. Click on a flag to listen to the pronunciation.
⬤ Names of some countries in English
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
- United Kingdom / UK
- United States / USA
⬤ Flashcards exercise
You can click on a card to see the name of the country. First guess the country then open the card to check your answer.
⬤ Flip cards exercise
Like the flashcards exercise above you can open the card by clicking it and then saying the name of the country in your native language.
⬤ Example sentences
- He is Russian.
- We are Chinese.
- They are Turkish.
- She is British.
- This is Brazil. It is a big country.
- India is a nice country.
- Italians live in Italy.
- I am Mexican. I live in Mexico.
- I am Spanish and I live in Spain.
⬤ Asking questions about the countries
>> Where are you from? – I am from England.
>> Where is he from? – He is from Turkey.
>> Where is Paul from? – Paul is from France.
- Where are you from? – I am from Italy.
- What nationality are you? – I am Italian.
- Where do you live? – I live in South Korea.
- Where do you go for holiday? – I go to Greece.
- Can you show me Portugal on the map? – Here is Portugal.
- Do you know this place on the map? – It is Canada.
- Are you American? – Yes, I am American.
- Is he Japan? – No, he isn’t. He is Chinese.
- Are you Egyptian? – Yes, I am Egyptian.
- Are you German or French? – I am French.
⬤ Reading passage
These are my friends. This is Takumi. He is from Japan. This is Lucas. He is from Denmark. This is Oliver. He is from Britain. These boys are from The USA. They are American. That is Lucia under the tree. She is from Spain. She likes reading under the tree. That is Li. He is Chinese. He lives in China. Lastly, this is Yasin. He is Turkish. He lives in Turkey. I have many friends from different countries.
⬤ Images of countries vocabulary
⬤ Picture quiz
This quiz helps you test your vocabulary knowledge by selecting the name of the country from the list. This is a nice multiple choice quiz with world flags.
⬤ Listening test with pictures
This test evaluates your listening skills about the countries. First listen to the name of the country then select the flag of it from the list.
⬤ Writing test
If you have difficulty in writing the countries correctly, this test is for you. Start the test and then type the name of the country into the text box correctly. You get points from every correct answer.
⬤ Spelling test
This test combines listening and spelling ability. First listen to the name of the country and then type it correctly. Every correct typing gives 10 points.
⬤ Worksheets about the countries
The table below has worksheets about countries vocabulary. You can download and share these printable ESL worksheets for free. You will see two formats: pdf and jpg image. You can choose whichever you want.
|• Flashcards worksheet|
|• Activity worksheet|
|• Word scramble game worksheet|
|• Word search puzzle worksheet|