Foods are edible nutritious stuff that we get for living. Some processed food include ingredients such as flour, oil and vegetables. In fact some foods are consumed as raw and some are cooked, so it takes time to prepare and serve food. If you have skill you can prepare your meal with home made food or just order your fast food to save time.
Table of Contents
- ⬤ Names of foods in English
- ⬤ Pictures of foods with pronunciations
- ⬤ Word list of foods in English
- ⬤ Flashcards exercise about food
- ⬤ Flip cards exercise
- ⬤ Talking about food in English
- ⬤ Example sentences about food
- ⬤ Asking questions about food
- ⬤ Reading passage
- ⬤ Images of food vocabulary to download
- ⬤ Picture quiz about food vocabulary
- ⬤ Listening test with pictures
- ⬤ Writing test with pictures
- ⬤ Spelling test about food
- ⬤ Worksheets about foods to download as PDF and image files
⬤ Names of foods in English
Food is the nourishment that people and animals eat or drink to survive. Food supply energy and nutrition. It consists of protein, carbohydrates, fat vitamins, water and minerals. Food is generally produced from animals and plants by means of farming or agriculture. Liquids that we get as a source of nourishment is called “drinks” or “beverages”.
After this brief explanation let’s learn food vocabulary in English. We have many games, vocabulary activities and quizzes to help you learn it. Here we go.
⬤ Pictures of foods with pronunciations
Here is the list of food in English with pictures. If you want to learn the pronunciations, just click on an image.
⬤ Word list of foods in English
- breakfast cereal
CONDIMENTS AND SAUCES
- chilli powder
- curry powder
⬤ Flashcards exercise about food
You can see images of food on the flashcards below. You can tap on the cards to see the food names.
⬤ Flip cards exercise
Click on any card to see a food name. Then guess the meaning of it in your native language.
⬤ Talking about food in English
We use “of” to talk about the food in containers.
a bag of potatoes
a bar of chocolate
a kilo of rice
a bottle of milk
a carton of milk
a box of eggs
a jar of jam
a pack of butter
a packet of biscuits
a packet of crisps
a tin of baked beans
NOTE: Don’t forget to put s if the amount is in plural form.
a kilo of sugar
2 kilos of sugar
a bottle of milk
3 bottles of milk
We use the verbs “have” or “eat” to talk about food
I eat an apple every day.
I have breakfast at 8 AM.
Other words about food and eating
For detailed information you can visit list of food on Wikipedia by clicking here
⬤ Example sentences about food
- I am thirsty. Can I have a glass of water?
- I am hungry. I want fried potatoes.
- I am full. I don’t want anything.
- There is a toast on the plate.
- I would like a cup of coffee.
- I have breakfast at 7.30 AM.
- Pizza is my favourite food.
- She wants to eat salad before the meal.
- It’s a cold day. I will have some hot soup.
⬤ Asking questions about food
- Are you hungry? – Yes, I want some soup, please.
- What is your favourite food? – My favourite food is fried chicken
- Can I have a sandwich, please. – Yes, of course.
- Do you want some bread? – Yes, please.
- What do you have for lunch? – I have a sandwich.
- How about some honey? – No, thanks. I am full.
- What about some cheese? – No, thanks. I am full.
- Do you want some cake? – No, thanks.
- Are you thirsty? Do you want some fruit juice? – Thanks, maybe later.
- Want some pizza? – Sure, of course.
- What time do you have breakfast? – I have breakfast at about 8 AM.
- What would you like to eat? – I would like to eat a bagel, please.
- What would you like to drink? – I would like to drink orange juice, please.
- Would you like something to eat? – I’ll have soup, please.
- Would you like something to drink? – I’ll have a glass of water.
- Would you like to order any drinks? – No, not now. Thanks.
- Did you enjoy the meal? – Yes, It was very delicious.
- How much is a hamburger? – That’s $5
⬤ Reading passage
FOOD FOR ENERGY
We need energy to live. People eat both plants and animals as food. We eat vegetable, fruits, meat, cereal, dairy products and so on. So we get the energy from our food. When we eat plants and meat, we get energy from them. But if you eat too much, you get fat. It is not healthy. People must not eat much food. Besides, people must eat healthy food and they must have a balanced diet to live longer.
⬤ Images of food vocabulary to download
⬤ Picture quiz about food vocabulary
Slect the appropriate option according to the picture. This quiz is good to learn food names with pictures.
⬤ Listening test with pictures
First listen to the audio and after that choose the correct option from the list of images.
⬤ Writing test with pictures
Start the test and write the name of the food into the box correctly. Correct answers are 10 points each.
⬤ Spelling test about food
Start the test and listen to the name of the food. Then type it into the text box correctly.
⬤ Worksheets about foods to download as PDF and image files
We provide you with some worksheets about foods vocabulary. They are free to download and share. These these printable ESL worksheets have two formats: pdf and jpg image.
|• Foods flashcards worksheet|
|• Foods activity worksheet|
|• Foods word scramble game worksheet|
|• Foods word search puzzle worksheet|
External resource links:
There are some external links that may help you. You can click and watch a video about foods. And foods in English can be learned here. You may also read articles about foods. For example, you can read and listen “Some Foods Can Be Medicine” here or learn “Types of Food” here.