House parts are the sections that we can see in a residence such as bedroom and kithchen. The rooms of a house are named differently by the household according to the function of a the house part.
Table of Contents
- ⬤ What are the parts of a house in English?
- ⬤ Pictures with audio pronunciations
- ⬤ Word list
- ⬤ Flashcards exercise
- ⬤ Flip cards exercise
- ⬤ Example sentences
- ⬤ Asking questions
- ⬤ Reading passage: My home
- ⬤ Download house parts image
- ⬤ Picture quiz
- ⬤ Listening test with pictures
- ⬤ Writing test
- ⬤ Spelling test
- ⬤ Worksheets about parts of a house
⬤ What are the parts of a house in English?
A house is a place that is built for people to live in. It functions as a home especially for families. There are many different parts of a house. These parts can be different according to the culture of the people, location, climate of the area and wealth of the residents etc. For example some residences may have a chimney, balcony, swimming pool, garden, garage or roof but some others may not.
⬤ Pictures with audio pronunciations
You can learn the house parts here with images easily. To listen to the pronunciation just tap on a picture.
⬤ Word list
Study the word list of the house parts below and then go on with the exercises and games.
- letter box
- flat (British E.)
- apartment (American E.)
❯❯ Living room vocabulary
❯❯ Bedroom vocabulary
❯❯ Kitchen vocabulary
❯❯ Bathroom vocabulary
❯❯ Garden vocabulary
❯❯ Dining room vocabulary
❯❯ Human body parts vocabulary
❯❯ Computer parts vocabulary
❯❯ Face parts vocabulary
⬤ Flashcards exercise
These flashcards have house parts on them, so guess the meaning of the card and then click on the card to flip and see the answer.
⬤ Flip cards exercise
Tap on the card and say the house part in your native language.
⬤ Example sentences
- This is the kitchen table.
- This is our kitchen.
- This is the garden.
- That is my house.
- There is a dishwasher in the kitchen.
- There are two mirrors in the bedroom.
- My mother is in the kitchen.
- This is my bedroom.
- My bed is next to the window.
- My books are on the table.
- The television is near the bookcase.
- The shower is in the bathroom.
⬤ Asking questions
Read the sentences below so that you can learn how to ask and answer questions about house parts in English.
- Is the chair on the balcony? – Yes, it is on the balcony?
- Is the washing machine in the kitchen? – No, it is in the bathroom.
- Are the slippers in the living room? – No, they aren’t. They are in my bedroom.
- Is there a clock in the living room? – Yes, there is one.
- Are there pictures on the wall? – Yes, there are pictures on the wall.
- Where is the television? – It is in the living room.
- Where is the sofa? – It is near the armchair.
- Where is the chimney? – It is on the roof.
- Where are the plates? – They are in the kitchen.
- Where are the toothbrushes? – They are in the bathroom.
- What colour is your house? – It is white.
- What colour is your room? – It is purple.
- Where do you sleep? – I sleep in my bedroom.
- Where do you have breakfast? – I have breakfast in the kitchen.
- Where can you have a shower in a house? – I can have a shower in the bathroom.
- Where do you eat your lunch or dinner? – I eat my lunch and dinner at home.
⬤ Reading passage: My home
My name is Lucia. I live with my family in Cordoba, Spain. We have a sweet home. My house is big and beautiful. There are trees around the it. It has two floors. The bedrooms, living room, bathroom and the kitchen are upstairs. The car garage is next to the backyard. My house has also a study in the attic. The rooms are light and spacious. We spend most of the time upstairs.
⬤ Download house parts image
⬤ Picture quiz
Choose the option from the list that corresponds to the part of a house.
⬤ Listening test with pictures
To do this test, first listen to the audio about and then choose the relevant picture from the list.
⬤ Writing test
Display the image by clicking on the “Start” button and type the name of the house part into the text box. Each correct answer adds 10 points to the score.
⬤ Spelling test
Listen and type the house part into the text box. This spelling test is suitable to practice listening. Every correct typing will give you 10 points.
⬤ Worksheets about parts of a house
Here are worksheets about parts of a house vocabulary. You are free to download and share these printable ESL worksheets. There are two file formats: pdf documents and jpg images.
|• Parts of a house activity worksheet|
|• Parts of a house word scramble game worksheet|
|• Parts of a house word search puzzle worksheet|
External resource links:
You can click here and watch a video about house parts .