Table of Contents
- ⬤ What are question words in English?
- ⬤ List of question words
- ⬤ Question word combinations
- ⬤ Flip the card game about question words
- ⬤ Examples about question words (Wh- questions)
- ⬤ Spelling test about question words
- ⬤ Worksheets about Wh- questions to download
⬤ What are question words in English?
Question words are the words we use to make questions in a sentence. They mostly start with Wh-, so we call them Wh- questions, as well. Some common Wh- questions are “What, Where, Who, Why, When, Which and How”. This kind of questions doesn’t require a “Yes” or “No” answer. If you see a Wh- type of questions you must give information according to the question word. The word “what” asks for an object, however “who” asks for a person.
On this page you will be able to learn the meaning and usage of questions words. There are many vocabulary activities for Wh-questions here. You can play vocabulary games, read example sentences and do puzzles online. First you should study the word list below. Here we go.
⬤ List of question words
You can Learn question words with pronunciation below. To learn how to say question words in English click on it.
⬤ Question word combinations
“What colour …” – What colour is your T-shirt?
“What kind of … ” – What kind of sports do you like?
“What type of … ” – What type of sports do you like?
“What sort of … ” – What sort of sports do you like?
“What size …” – What size are you?
“How far…” – How far is your school?
“How long…” – How long will you stay?
“How many…” – How many pencils have you got?
“How much…” – How much sugar do you need?
“How old…” – How old is your grandfather?
“How tall…” – How tall is your father?
“How high…” – How tall is that building?
⬤ Flip the card game about question words
This exercise helps you learn the Wh- questions with some cards. Click on a card to flip it. Then you will see a question word. Then guess the meaning of the word in your language.
- how far
- What size
- how much
- how tall
- how many
- how old
- how high
⬤ Examples about question words (Wh- questions)
Examples about Yes-No Questions
- Are you a student? – Yes, She is a student.
- Is she a German? – No, She is French
- Are they at home? – Yes, They are at home.
- Can you speak English? – Yes, I can speak English.
- Is there a cat under the tree? – No. There is a dog under the tree.
- Have you got a pencil in your bag? – No, I haven’t.
- Do you like playing chess? – Yes, I do.
- Did you sleep well yesterday? – No, I didn’t sleep well yesterday.
- Does David usually work on Saturdays? – No, He sometimes works on Sundays.
- Have you eaten kebab? – Yes, I have.
Examples about Wh- Questions
- What colour is it? – It is yellow.
- What colour is her dress? – It is white and green.
- What is your favourite colour? – My favourite colour is orange. (It is orange.)
- Where are you? – I am at the bus stop.
- What nationality are you? – I am Japanese.
- Where are they?- They are at work.
- What languages can you speak? – I can speak English, German and Spanish.
- What is there under the tree? – There is a cat under the tree.
- What have you got in your bag? – I have got a bar of chocolate.
- What do you like doing at home? – I like playing chess.
- How did you sleep yesterday? – I slept well.
- How often does David work at the weekends? – He sometimes works at the weekends.
- Where have you eaten kebab? – I have eaten kebab in Istanbul.
⬤ Spelling test about question words
This spelling test is to evaluate your listening and writing skills about question words. First listen to the questions word. Then type the word that you hear in the text box. Each correct answer makes 10 points.
⬤ Worksheets about Wh- questions to download
The worksheets below are about question words (Wh- questions) in English. You are free to download and share them.
|• Wh- questions word scramble game worksheet|
|• Wh- questions word search puzzle worksheet|
>> Click here to learn prepositions vocabulary in English
>> Click here to learn adjectives vocabulary in English
>> Click here to learn conjunctions vocabulary in English
>> Click here to learn verbs vocabulary in English
External resource links:
You can jump to Question Words category page to find extra activities and games in this website by clicking here. However, there are some external links that may help you. You can click here to watch a video about Question Words or here or here to learn formation of questions.