Vegetables vocabulary is essential in English language especially if you are interseted in nutrition and healthy food. Names of vegetables are abundant, but you are expected to learn some basic vegetable names with their pronunciations. Before we go on let’s learn what they are in English? A vegetable is edible plant or part of a plant such as stems, leaves and roots. Some examples are potato, onion, bean and carrot. Vegetables differ from the fruits according to their taste and structure. Vegetables are not sweet, and they can be any part of a plant. However, fruits have sweet taste, and they are the fleshy product of a tree or other plant with seeds in them.
- Herbs are any plant that are used for flavouring, medical purposes, or perfume.
- Spices are aromatic powdery vegetable products that are used for seasoning or preserving food.
- A vegetarian is someone who does not eat meat. This can be because of health, religious or moral concerns.
Table of Contents
- ⬤ Pictures of vegetables with pronunciations
- ⬤ Names of vegetables in English
- ⬤ Flashcards exercise
- ⬤ Flip cards exercise
- ⬤ Example sentences
- ⬤ Asking questions
- ⬤ Reading passage
- ⬤ Images of vegetables vocabulary
- ⬤ Picture quiz
- ⬤ Listening test with pictures
- ⬤ Writing test with pictures
- ⬤ Spelling test
- ⬤ Worksheets about vegetables
⬤ Pictures of vegetables with pronunciations
Here is a list of vegetable names with pictures and pronunciations. Names of the vegetables are on the cards. Click on any name or image to listen to the pronunciation.
⬤ Names of vegetables in English
- Brussels sprouts
- chilli pepper
⬤ Flashcards exercise
The flashcards below have vegetable images on them. Click to see the names of the vegetables in English.
⬤ Flip cards exercise
This activity is designed to help you learn the names of vegetables. Flip a card and guess the meaning of it in your native language.
⬤ Example sentences
- It is a carrot.
- This is a potato.
- These are onions.
- There are four tomatoes in the basket.
- I like mushrooms.
- I don’t like beans.
- He doesn’t like cabbage.
- You should eat vegetables regularly.
- I bought a kilo of spinach.
- I like fresh vegetable.
- She likes eating fresh vegetables.
- Ahmed likes vegetables.
- This vegetable has a nice smell.
- There are a lot of vegetable fields here.
- Eggplant is a summer vegetable.
⬤ Asking questions
- What is this? – This is a turnip.
- Do you like olives? – Yes, I like olives.
- Does Sarah like pepper? – Yes, she likes pepper.
- Would you like some vegetable? – Yes, please.
- Which vegetable do you like most? – I like potatoes most.
- Do you peel a zucchini? – Yes, I do.
- What is your favourite vegetable? – My favourite vegetable is tomato.
- How much is a kilo of corn? – 8 dollars.
- Where does olives grow in the world? – Olives grow in the Mediterranean .
- How do you eat pumpkin? – I peel and cut the pumpkin.
⬤ Reading passage
Vegetables are very good for our health, so everybody should eat them regularly. There are many reasons for this. First, you don’t always cook them. You can eat some of them fresh. Second, it is very easy to find. They grow everywhere. Third, they have fiber that is very good for digestion. In addition, they have low calories. So you don’t gain weight. Moreover, vegetables prevent some diseases such as heart disease and cancer. Beside these, they have vitamins and minerals. Lastly, they have very good taste and smell. You have many reasons to include vegetables in your food habits.
⬤ Images of vegetables vocabulary
⬤ Picture quiz
This multiple choice picture quiz has one vegetable image and four options. Select the relevant option from the list.
⬤ Listening test with pictures
Click the play button and listen to the name of a vegetable. Then select the image of the vegetable from the list.
⬤ Writing test with pictures
Start the test and write the name of the vegetable you see. Try to get as high points as you can.
⬤ Spelling test
Listen to the name of a vegetable and then type it correctly below.
⬤ Worksheets about vegetables
These are worksheets about vegetables vocabulary below. You are completely free to download and share these printable ESL worksheets. There are two formats: pdf and jpg image.
|• Activity worksheet|
|• Word scramble game worksheet|
|• Word search puzzle worksheet|