Table of Contents
- ⬤ What are the vegetables in English?
- ⬤ Pictures of vegetables vocabulary with pronunciations
- ⬤ Word list of vegetables in English
- ⬤ Flashcards exercise about vegetables
- ⬤ Flip cards exercise
- ⬤ Example sentences about vegetables
- ⬤ Asking questions about vegetables
- ⬤ Reading passage
- ⬤ Images of vegetables vocabulary to download and share
- ⬤ Picture quiz about vegetables
- ⬤ Listening test with pictures about vegetables
- ⬤ Writing test with pictures
- ⬤ Spelling test about vegetables
- ⬤ Worksheets about vegetables to download as PDF and image files
⬤ What are the vegetables in English?
A vegetable is edible plant or part of a plant such as stems, leaves and roots. Some examples of vegetables are potato, onion, bean and spinach. Vegetables differ from the fruits according to their taste and structure. In general fruits have sweet taste, and they are the fleshy product of a tree or other plant with seeds in them, however vegetables are not sweet, and they can be any part of a plant.
- Herbs are any plant that are used for flavouring, medical purposes, or perfume.
- Spices are aromatic powdery vegetable products that are used for seasoning or preserving food.
- A vegetarian is someone who does not eat meat or fish. This can be because of health, religious or moral concerns.
After this brief information about vegetables, let’s go on with the vegetables vocabulary. On this page you can learn vegetables vocabulary with funny games, puzzles, flashcards, pronunciations, quizzes and tests.
⬤ Pictures of vegetables vocabulary with pronunciations
Here is a list of vegetables with pictures and pronunciations. Click on any image to listen to the pronunciation.
⬤ Word list of vegetables in English
- Brussels sprouts
- chilli pepper
⬤ Flashcards exercise about vegetables
The flashcards below have vegetable images on them. Click to see the names of the vegetables in English.
- spring onion
⬤ Flip cards exercise
This activity is designed to help you learn the names of vegetables. Flip a card and guess the meaning of it in your native language.
⬤ Example sentences about vegetables
- It is a carrot.
- This is a potato.
- These are onions.
- There are four tomatoes in the basket.
- I like mushrooms.
- I don’t like beans.
- He doesn’t like cabbage.
- You should eat vegetables regularly.
- I bought a kilo of spinach.
- I like fresh vegetable.
- She likes eating fresh vegetables.
- Ahmed likes vegetables.
- This vegetable has a nice smell.
- There are a lot of vegetable fields here.
- Eggplant is a summer vegetable.
⬤ Asking questions about vegetables
- What is this? – This is a turnip.
- Do you like olives? – Yes, I like olives.
- Does Sarah like pepper? – Yes, she likes pepper.
- Would you like some vegetable? – Yes, please.
- Which vegetable do you like most? – I like potatoes most.
- Do you peel a zucchini? – Yes, I do.
- What is your favourite vegetable? – My favourite vegetable is tomato.
- How much is a kilo of corn? – 8 dollars.
- Where does olives grow in the world? – Olives grow in the Mediterranean .
- How do you eat pumpkin? – I peel and cut the pumpkin.
⬤ Reading passage
Vegetables are very good for our health. Everybody should eat them regularly. There are many reasons for this. First, you don’t always cook them. You can eat some of them fresh. Second, it is very easy to find. They grow everywhere. Third, they have fiber that is very good for digestion. In addition, vegetables have low calories. So you don’t gain weight. Moreover, vegetables prevent some diseases such as heart disease and cancer. Beside these, vegetables have vitamins and minerals. Lastly, vegetables have very good taste and smell. You have many reasons to include vegetables in your food habits.
People love eating vegetables. Do you? In fact there are many reasons to eat vegetables. Vegetables are good and healthy. There are different kinds of vegetables to taste. There are so many ways to eat vegetables. Eating vegetables keeps us healthy and fit. As dietitians say we should eat vegetables everyday. Vegetables are colourful and delicious. They taste good and it is better to eat vegetables with other foods.
⬤ Picture quiz about vegetables
This multiple choice picture quiz has one vegetable image and four options. Select the relevant option from the list.
⬤ Listening test with pictures about vegetables
Click the play button and listen to the name of a vegetable. Then select the image of the vegetable from the list.
⬤ Writing test with pictures
Start the test and write the name of the vegetable you see. Try to get as high points as you can.
⬤ Spelling test about vegetables
Listen to the name of a vegetable and then type it correctly below.
⬤ Worksheets about vegetables to download as PDF and image files
These are worksheets about vegetables vocabulary below. You are completely free to download and share these printable ESL worksheets. There are two formats: pdf and jpg image.
|• Vegetables activity worksheet|
|• Vegetables word scramble game worksheet|
|• Vegetables word search puzzle worksheet|
>> Click here to learn fruits vocabulary in English
>> Click here to learn foods vocabulary in English
>> Click here to learn plants vocabulary in English
>> Click here to learn herbs and spices vocabulary in English
>> Click here to learn fast food vocabulary in English
>> Click here to learn cooking vocabulary in English
External resource links:
You can jump to vegetables category page to find extra activities and games in this website by clicking here. However, there are some external links that may help you. You can click here to watch a video about vegetables. You can also play games about vegetables vocabulary here or here. And this is a pdf flashcards about vegetables.