Weather is the state of the atmosphere at a particular place and time. Weather vocabulary terms describe the major components of weather. The weather is the condition of the atmosphere for a specific location and time. For this reason, the weather vocabulary is related to the atmospheric conditions. Because of this it includes temperature, humidity, precipitation, wind velocity and barometric pressure. As a result, the weather forecast is the prediction of atmosphere conditions for a specific place and time.
Table of Contents
⬤ Weather vocabulary images
⬤ Names of weather conditions
⬤ Weather Flashcards
⬤ Flip cards
⬤ Weather conditions in daily language
- The weather is rainy.
- It is rainy.
- It is raining.
- It is snowy.
- It is snowing.
- It is foggy.
- The weather is stormy.
- It is a fine day.
- The weather’s fine.
- It is very cold.
- It is hot today in Paris.
- There are clouds in the sky.
- The sky’s overcast.
- It’s about 20°C outside.
- It’s warm today.
- It’s rainy and and I feel moody.
- The weather is sunny. I feel energetic.
- I feel anxious because it’s lightning outside.
- It’s windy and cold in autumn. I feel sad.
- It’s hailing now. I feel scared.
- I feel upset because it’s cold and rainy.
- Emily likes listening to music on rainy days.
- Thomas is energetic on sunny days.
- It is sunny next weekend
- Tokyo is colder than Sydney.
- It is hot and dry in the eastern part of the country.
- It’s not snowy in the deserts.
- It’s snowing. Don’t forget to take your gloves.
- Don’t go jogging! It’s stormy today.
- It is rainy and 11 degrees Celsius in London.
How to say the weather condition and precipitation:
It is snowing.
It is raining.
Take your gloves. It is snowing.
Use “-y” to talk about the weather condition:
rainy > It is a rainy day.
To talk about the weather in the past we use “was/were”:
It was sunny.
It was cold yesterday.
It was about 30°C last week.
To talk about the weather in the future we use “will be”
It will be sunny.
It will be rainy tomorrow.
The weather will be fine.
⬤ How to ask questions about the climate and weather
- How is the weather? – It is hot.
- What is the weather like? – It is foggy.
- What is the temperature? – It is 25°C.
- What is the weather forecast? – It looks like snow.
- What is it like out? – It is stormy.
- What is your favourite season? – It is spring.
- What is the weather like in Pekin in winter? – It’s rainy and foggy.
- How do you feel on rainy days? – I feel sleepy.
- How do you feel on stormy days? – I feel anxious on stormy days.
- Do you feel anxious in rainy weather? – Yes, I mostly feel anxious.
- What is the weather like in your city? – It is rainy in winter and sunny in summer.
- What is the average temperature here in summer? – It is 32 degrees Celsius.
- What is the weather like in Alaska? – It is cold and snowy.
- What’s the temperature? – It’s minus 20 degrees Celsius.
- How is the weather in the south of the country? – It is partly cloudy at the moment but it is usually sunny.
- What’s the temperature in the east? – It is 25 degrees Celsius.
- Is it hot or cold in the north of the country? – It is cold.
⬤ Weather report examples
The weather Report Example -1
This is the weather report for today. It is sunny with cloudy periods in the morning. In the afternoon it is hot and sunny with a high of 32 degrees. The rest of the day will be warm. In the evening it will be partly cloudy with a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius. It will not rain, but it will be colder. At night we are expecting rain. It will be windy with a low of 19. That was the weather report. Have a nice day.
The weather Report Example -2
Here is the weather forecast for the south of the country. The weather is hot today. The temperature is 33 degrees Celsius. The sky is clear and bright. Unlike the north you can enjoy the sunny weather in this part of the country. In the afternoon it will be about 36 degrees Celsius. It will be even hotter by the end of the week.
As for the north, it will be rainy today. The temperature is 15 degrees Celsius. Watch out for slippery roads. There may be a storm at night. Probably it will rain tomorrow, too. By the end of the week the weather will be partly cloudy with a low around 9. Thanks for watching.
Mark: What’s the weather like in London in January, Jack?
Jack: It’s pretty cold.
Mark: Well, what’s the temperature now?
Jack: It is 0 C.
Mark: Oh. Really cold. What’s the forecast for tomorrow?
Jack: It will be snowy.
Mark: Oh. Wear heavy clothes then.
⬤ Weather vocabulary exercises
⬤ Weather Worksheets
|• The weather activity worksheet|
|• The weather word scramble game worksheet|
|• The weather word search puzzle worksheet|
External resource links:
You can find here a video about weather or here for a weather report from British Council. You can also test yourself here about weather. For children here is a funny game about the weather. You can also download a printable pdf document here to practice . with flashcards.