Table of Contents
- ⬤ What is weather in English?
- ⬤ Weather picture vocabulary with pronunciations
- ⬤ Word list of weather vocabulary
- ⬤ Flashcards exercise about the weather
- ⬤ Flip cards exercise about weather vocabulary in English
- ⬤ Example sentences about the weather
- ⬤ How to say the weather condition and precipitation?
- ⬤ How to ask questions about weather in English
- ⬤ Reading passages
- ⬤ Dialogue about the weather in English
- ⬤ Images of weather vocabulary to download and share
- ⬤ Picture quiz about the weather vocabulary
- ⬤ Listening test with pictures
- ⬤ Writing test with pictures
- ⬤ Spelling test about the weather
- ⬤ Worksheets about the weather to download as PDF and image files
⬤ What is weather in English?
The weather is the condition of the atmosphere for a specific location and time. It includes temperature, humidity, precipitation, wind velocity and barometric pressure. The weather forecast is the prediction of atmosphere conditions for a specific place and time. Weather means the atmospheric conditions for a specific location and time, but climate means the average of atmospheric conditions for longer time periods.
On this page you will find weather vocabulary in English along with activities. We have added nice games and exercises online. Now study the weather vocabulary below then go on with the online activities.
⬤ Weather picture vocabulary with pronunciations
This is a list of weather vocabulary with pronunciations. If you click on any image, you can listen to the pronunciation.
⬤ Word list of weather vocabulary
⬤ Flashcards exercise about the weather
You will see images of weather conditions on flashcards. Try to guess the meaning and then click on the card to see the answer.
⬤ Flip cards exercise about weather vocabulary in English
Unlike flashcards exercise above, you try to guess the meaning of the word in your native language.
⬤ Example sentences about the weather
- The weather is rainy.
- It is rainy.
- It is raining.
- It is snowy.
- It is snowing.
- It is foggy.
- The weather is stormy.
- It is a fine day.
- The weather’s fine.
- It is very cold.
- It is hot today in Paris.
- There are clouds in the sky.
- The sky’s overcast.
- It’s about 20°C outside.
- It’s warm today.
- It’s rainy and and I feel moody.
- The weather is sunny. I feel energetic.
- I feel anxious because it’s lightning outside.
- It’s windy and cold in autumn. I feel sad.
- It’s hailing now. I feel scared.
- I feel upset because it’s cold and rainy.
- Emily likes listening to music on rainy days.
- Thomas is energetic on sunny days.
- It is sunny next weekend
- Tokyo is colder than Sydney.
- It is hot and dry in the eastern part of the country.
- It’s not snowy in the deserts.
- It’s snowing. Don’t forget to take your gloves.
- Don’t go jogging! It’s stormy today.
- It is rainy and 11 degrees Celsius in London.
⬤ How to say the weather condition and precipitation?
It is snowing.
It is raining.
Take your gloves. It is snowing.
Use “-y” to talk about the weather condition:
rainy > It is a rainy day.
To talk about the weather in the past we use “was/were”:
It was sunny.
It was cold yesterday.
It was about 30°C last week.
To talk about the weather in the future we use “will be”
It will be sunny.
It will be rainy tomorrow.
The weather will be fine.
⬤ How to ask questions about weather in English
- How is the weather? – It is hot.
- What is the weather like? – It is foggy.
- What is the temperature? – It is 25°C.
- What is the weather forecast? – It looks like snow.
- What is it like out? – It is stormy.
- What is your favourite season? – It is spring.
- What is the weather like in Pekin in winter? – It’s rainy and foggy.
- How do you feel on rainy days? – I feel sleepy.
- How do you feel on stormy days? – I feel anxious on stormy days.
- Do you feel anxious in rainy weather? – Yes, I mostly feel anxious.
- What is the weather like in your city? – It is rainy in winter and sunny in summer.
- What is the average temperature here in summer? – It is 32 degrees Celsius.
- What is the weather like in Alaska? – It is cold and snowy.
- What’s the temperature? – It’s minus 20 degrees Celsius.
- How is the weather in the south of the country? – It is partly cloudy at the moment but it is usually sunny.
- What’s the temperature in the east? – It is 25 degrees Celsius.
- Is it hot or cold in the north of the country? – It is cold.
⬤ Reading passages
The weather Report
This is the weather report for today. It is sunny with cloudy periods in the morning. In the afternoon it is hot and sunny with a high of 32 degrees. The rest of the day will be warm. In the evening it will be partly cloudy with a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius. It will not rain, but it will be colder. At night we are expecting rain. It will be windy with a low of 19. That was the weather report. Have a nice day.
The weather Report
Here is the weather forecast for the south of the country. The weather is hot today. The temperature is 33 degrees Celsius. The sky is clear and bright. Unlike the north you can enjoy the sunny weather in this part of the country. In the afternoon it will be about 36 degrees Celsius. It will be even hotter by the end of the week.
As for the north, it will be rainy today. The temperature is 15 degrees Celsius. Watch out for slippery roads. There may be a storm at night. Probably it will rain tomorrow, too. By the end of the week the weather will be partly cloudy with a low around 9. Thanks for watching.
⬤ Dialogue about the weather in English
Mark: What’s the weather like in London in January, Jack?
Jack: It’s pretty cold.
Mark: Well, what’s the temperature now?
Jack: It is 0 C.
Mark: Oh. Really cold. What’s the forecast for tomorrow?
Jack: It will be snowy.
Mark: Oh. Wear heavy clothes then.
⬤ Picture quiz about the weather vocabulary
This quiz tests your vocabulary knowledge about the weather with the pictures. Here select the correct option that corresponds to the image.
⬤ Listening test with pictures
Click on the play button and listen to the audio. Then choose the relevant image from the list.
⬤ Writing test with pictures
Try to type the name of the image correctly into the text box. Every correct answer will give you 10 points.
⬤ Spelling test about the weather
This is a listening and spelling test to teach the weather vocabulary. Start the test by clicking on the “Start” button so that you will be able to see the play button. Click on the play button to hear the audio about the weather. Now try to type the word you hear correctly into the text box.
⬤ Worksheets about the weather to download as PDF and image files
Worksheets about the weather vocabulary are here. You can freely download, use, and share these printable ESL worksheets. There are two document formats: pdf and jpg image.
|• The weather activity worksheet|
|• The weather word scramble game worksheet|
|• The weather word search puzzle worksheet|
External resource links:
You can jump to weather category page to find extra activities and games in this website by clicking here. However, there are some external links that may help you. You can click here to watch a video about weather or here for a weather report from British Council. You can also test yourself here about weather vocabulary. For children here is a funny game about the weather. You can also download a printable pdf document here to practice with flashcards.